Thứ Năm, 30 tháng 8, 2012

Album Reviews : Definitely Maybe by Oasis


Definitely Maybe was Oasis first album release back in 2004. It went straight in at number one in the British album charts and was the fastest selling debut album of all time and managed to sell 2.1 million copies in the UK and 7 million worldwide. I never really liked Oasis when I first heard them, although I found they did grow on me and, just like many other people, after buying (Whats The Story) Morning Glory and thinking it was the best album of all time (back then) I decided to purchase Definitely Maybe. I was not disappointed and to this day this is still one of my all time favorite albums.

The tracks on this album include;

1) Rock N Roll Star

2) Shakermaker

3) Live Forever

4) Up In The Sky

5) Columbia

6) Supersonic

7) Bring It On Down

8) Cigarettes And Alcohol

9) Digsys Diner

10 ) Slide Away

11) Married With Children

12) Sad Song

The tracks on this album are not as iconic as those on (Whats The Story) Morning Glory and this album is not as popular but I think that overall this album is better, only marginally, but better nonetheless. I find the lyrics of all Oasiss songs to be simple, meaningless and something that most people (myself included) cannot relate to. In my opinion the lyrics lack depth and whilst I am sure Oasis are trying to tell a story through their songs I dont think it is very clear. Despite this I find that the lyrics, when combined with the music, make a great overall song.

Liam Gallagher is the singer for nearly all of Oasis songs, however this album gives us the chance to hear what Noel (the song writer and most talented of the Gallagher brothers) can do as he takes over the microphone in Married With Children. I must say that Noel does not disappoint and his vocals are great for this song.

Liams voice is edgy, raw and too loud for Married With Children as this is more of a slower ballad type song rather than a rock n roll song. Noels voice is softer and he appears to have more control over the sound, and this does suit this song.

Other than Married With Children all the songs on this album are upbeat and quite fast tempo tunes. They are great to sing along to and require the volume to be cranked right up to really enjoy them. I find these great driving anthems although I dont think that any of them has ever appeared on a designated driving anthem album, like the ones released under the Top Gear name.

My favorite songs are Live Forever and Slide Away. I am unsure what the story is behind them and in all honesty I dont really care, I just find them quite catchy.

Live Forever is a typical example of meaningless lyrics. Maybe, I dont really want to know. How your garden grows cause I just want to fly. Lately, have you ever felt the pain, in the morning rain as it soaks you to the bone. What does this mean? Where on earth did it come from? What is the inspiration behind this? Personally, I dont really care about the answers to these questions as I am not the sort of person that sits there and analyses things to the nth degree. I just find it entertaining.

Although Live Forever and Slide Away are my favorites I like all the tracks on this album and to coin the phrase they are all killers with no fillers is spot on. I dont skip through any of the tracks and am happy to listen from track one all the way through to track 12, which is something I cant say about many other albums. Definitely Maybe is a fantastic album and is worthy of anyones CD collection.



Truyện Sex

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét